Daily 5 Chapter 6 Summer Book Study


It's hard to believe we are on Chapter 6 of our Daily 5 Summer Book Study hosted by Brenda from Primary Inspired! That means my summer is almost over and most likely yours, too! This week is all about the Foundation Lessons and continuing to train students' muscle memories for independence. Read-to-Self and Three Ways to Read a Book  are reviewed, and new components of Daily 5 are introduced. I really like how the Sisters advise that you base the order and number of foundation lessons you introduce on your students' needs. There isn't just one right way to do this- we use our judgment! 
Thoughts and ideas about Read-to-Self Foundation Lessons:
  • Review Ways to Read a Book. 
  • Review I PICK Good-Fit Books.
  • Have students choose a successful spot. Students will need to choose their own spots. Discuss with them what they might think about when making that decision. I realize that sometimes I think I can tell them once and they will get it. I need to remember to go over procedures daily and model!
  • Release the students a few at a time to find their spots so you don't have a stampede.
  • Once time is up, or stamina is broken, this round ends!

Work-on-Writing Foundation Lessons thoughts and Ideas:
  • Setting up a notebook: I'm planning to give my students a spiral notebook for writing. I love the idea of having students personalize them with cutouts from magazines, stickers, or drawings!
  • I really like the suggested idea to cut the top corners of 5 pages of the notebook so students can write "think abouts", which are their ideas. These ideas become writing topics when students can't think of anything to write. Brilliant! 
  • At this point, students are guided to create their "Think Abouts" and are told they will be referring to this part of their writing notebook when they are stuck and can't think about what to write. Perfect for those who say, "I don't know what to write."
  • Before we begin Work-on-Writing, I will read the story, "Nothing Ever Happens on 22nd Street. This is a great story about a girl who thinks she has nothing to write about, but some pretty exciting things in her neighborhood unfold before her eyes! We have the discussion that authors get the ideas for their stories from what they hear and see around them. 

Read-to-Someone Thoughts and Ideas:
  • Students are taught to sit Elbow, Elbow, Knee, Knee, or EEEK. Students sit closely to each other so they can read quietly. This should help with the noise level in my tiny classroom!
  • Next, proper voice levels are modeled. It makes sense that the loudest voice in the room is the one that regulates the noise level, so it's important to use a quiet voice when modeling Read-to-Someone.
  • Check for Understanding is another important skill to model. After students finish a page, the partner who was listening summarizes the text. The reader either agrees or clarifies what was actually read. If the listener is incorrect, the reader reads the text again, and hopefully, the listener has corrected the summary.
  • Partners can read one at at time, chorally, or one reads one book, another reads a different book, one at a time.
  • Students are taught how to read shared text together. 
  • If a student doesn't know a word, the partner needs to wait three seconds, and then ask, Do you want coaching or time?" If the partner says, "time", the listener needs to wait patiently while the reader tries to decode the word. If the reader says "coaching", the listener helps the reader use a decoding strategy. In addition to the Time or Coaching anchor chart I plan to have posted in the classroom after our discussion, I think it is important to provide the students with a time or coaching cheat sheet reminder. You can download a copy by clicking on either of the pictures below.



Listen-to-Reading Thoughts and Ideas:

  • This section covers how to set up and clean up the listening devices. Students need to put everything neatly back where they found it. 
  • Students are taught how to follow along with their eyes or finger as they listen.
  • It's suggested to pair students up to share each device, since there are usually a limited amount of these devices. 
Word-Work Foundation Lessons Thoughts and Ideas:
  • Students are taught how to set up and clean up the Word-Work materials. This takes modeling! 
  • Be sure to teach students to choose the activities that will help them to learn their words. 
  • Model how to find a place to work. Discuss and complete the Word-Work anchor chart.
  • Some ideas for Word-Work activities are white boards, magnetic letters, chipboard letters, foam letters, stamps, and Boggle.
  • I plan to house my Word-Work activities in the Big Lots cart shown below. I know Michael's has a similar cart. (You can click on the pictures if you would like a set of editable labels to make your own.)
I have a few freebies that you could use with Daily 5. I use the cart below to organize my spelling centers, and I plan to revamp it to include other Word Work activities, such as my FREEBIE Vocabulary 4-Square sheets above. 

Next week is Chapter 7. We are nearing the end of our Summer Book Study. Only two more weeks to go! I have learned so much from the ladies who have been implementing it! Be sure to check out their posts below, and leave a comment or link up your Daily 5 Chapter 6 post! 






2 comments

  1. I love your Coach's Playlist! Thank you for sharing that. :) I really want to get a colorful cart like the one you have. I love the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a helpful post! Thank you for the Coach's Playlist. It'll be such a great resource for our kids during Read to Someone. I also love your Vocabulary 4 square freebie. Thank you for sharing. I'll also plan on using Nothing Ever Happens on 90th Street per your recommendation. Can't wait to start Daily 5 in my classroom. :)

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top